Scary story collection by Hazel Year 9



The Farmhouse 

When my sister and I were kids our family lived for a while in a charming old farmhouse. We loved exploring its dusty corners and climbing the apple tree in the garden, but our favourite thing was the ghost. We called her mother because she seemed so kind and nurturing.

Some mornings my sister and I would wake up to cups that hadn’t been there the night before. Mother had left them there - worried we would get thirsty during the night. She just wanted to take care of us.

Among the house’s original furnishings was an antique wooden chair, which we kept against the back wall in the living room. Whenever we were preoccupied with watching TV or playing a game, mother would inch that chair forward across the room towards us. Sometimes she would manage to move it to the center of the room. We always felt sad putting it back against the wall. Mother just wanted to be near us.

Years later, after we moved out, I found an old newspaper article about the house’s original occupant, a widow. She murdered her two children by giving them both a cup of poisoned milk before bed. Then she hanged herself. The article included a photo of the living room with the woman’s body hanging from a beam, beneath her knocked over was that old wooden chair placed exactly in the center of the room.



The Accident 

It was 1am and Guy Halverson sat in his dark living room. He hadn’t moved in over an hour. The accident earlier that evening kept playing over and over in his mind. The light turned red, but he was in a hurry so he drove faster. An orange blur came from his right, and in a split second there was a violent jolt, then the cyclist rolled across the hood of his car and fell out of sight onto the pavement. Horns blared angrily and he panicked. Stepping on the gas and screeching away from the chaos into the darkness, shaken and keening an eye on his rearview mirror until he got home.

‘Why did you run, you idiot?!’ he thought to himself. He had never committed a crime before this and punished himself by imagining years in jail. His career is gone. His family is gone. His future is gone. Why not just go to the police right now? Just at that moment, someone tapped on the door and his world crumbled away beneath him. ‘They found me!’ There was nothing he could do but answer it. His body trembled with fear. A police officer stood under the porch light.



Time keeper

He had been given the watch on his tenth birthday. It was an ordinary grey plastic wristwatch in every respect except for the fact that it was counting down. "That is all of the time you have left in the world, son. Use it wisely." And indeed he did.

As the watch ticked away, the boy, now a man, lived life to the fullest. He climbed mountains and swam oceans. He talked and laughed and lived and loved. The man was never afraid, for he knew exactly how much time he had left. Eventually, the watch began its final countdown.

The old man stood looking over everything he had done, everything he had built. 5. He  shook hands with his old business partner, the man who had long been his friend and confidant. 4. His dog came and licked his hand, earning a pat on the head for its companionship. 3. He hugged his son, knowing that he had been a good father. 2. He kissed his wife on the forehead one last time. 1. The old man smiled and closed his eyes. Then, nothing happened. The watch beeped once and turned off. The man stood there, very much alive. You would think that at that very moment he would have been overjoyed. Instead, for the first time in his life, the man was scared.



He stood against my window


I don't know why I looked up, but when I did I saw him there. He stood against my window. His forehead rested against the glass, and his eyes were still and light and he smiled a lipstick-red, cartoonish grin. And he just stood there in the window. My wife was upstairs sleeping, my son was in his crib and I couldn't move.

 I froze and watched him looking past me through the glass. Oh, please no. His smile never moved but he put a hand up and slid it down the glass, watching me. With matted hair and yellow skin and face through the window. I couldn't do anything. I just stayed there, frozen, feet still in the bushes I was pruning, looking into my home. He stood against my window.


The train crash

It was the evening of 1984. The sun had just gone down, the air was warm. I was waiting for the train, surprisingly it was pretty quiet for a Friday. I was heading home after a long shift at the office, and my train finally arrived. I slowly walked up and got on.

Sitting across from me there were two men on each side and a woman sitting in the middle. The woman looked as if she was sleeping, I didn't think much of it. At the next stop a man got on and stood next to me. We both looked at each other. He had a look of fear in his eyes that I could never forget. I could feel the two men staring at me. It was slightly uncomfortable but I just ignored it. The train came to a stop. The man standing next to me quickly grabbed hold of my jacket and pulled me off the train “SIR stop what are you doing let go of me!!!” “SHHH be quiet, listen” the train doors close and the train goes on “that woman was dead and i'm pretty sure you was next”


The cell phone

A couple of months ago, I bought a new cell phone. After a long day of work, I came home, placed my phone on the counter, and went to watch TV.

My son came to me and asked if he could play with my new phone. I told him not to call anyone or mess with text messages, and he agreed. At around 11:20, I felt drowsy, so I decided to tuck my son in and go to bed. I walked to his room and saw that he wasn’t there. I then ran over to my room to find him sleeping on my bed with the phone in his hand. Relieved, I picked her phone back up from his hand to inspect it.

Browsing through it, I noticed only minor changes such as a new background, banner, etc., but then I opened up my saved pictures. I then began deleting the pictures he had taken, until only one new picture remained. When I first saw it, I was in complete disbelief. It was my son sleeping on my bed, but the picture was taken by someone else above him... and it showed the left half of an elderly woman’s face.


The following

My older sister has a ghost that’s followed her around for years. I lived with her once for about 3 months, and so much weird stuff happened at that time.

All my sister would say to me when I mentioned it was that her ghost “didn’t like me being there.”Things like going to bed with everything locked up and switched off and waking up in the morning with the back door open, lights on and the kettle switched on.

One night my sister and I were getting ready to go out and I’d asked to borrow her liquid foundation. I used it and put it back where she kept her makeup. Ten minutes later she asked me for it and it was nowhere to be seen. She accused me of taking it and made me buy her a new one and refused to listen to my side of the story. About a year or so later when she was packing to move to a new house, she found the makeup in a shoebox with some old letters. The shoebox was in a zipped up suitcase that was underneath her bed.

But probably the most scared I ever felt was one afternoon when I was the only one in the house (which never happened as four other people lived there). I arrived home from work and headed straight to my bedroom. All the doors/windows etc were closed. I was sitting on my bed writing a story, when a female voice said ”are you seriously writing another story?” It was loud enough and sounded real enough and at the time I thought it was my sister. So I laughed, told her to be quiet and asked what she was going to cook for dinner. No answer. I stuck my head out into the hall. No one there. I searched the house top to bottom and there was no one home. I sat out on the front porch until someone else got home because I didn’t want to be there alone.


The rocking horse

One night, when I was maybe 10-12, I had trouble falling asleep. My bedroom was the entire top floor of our house with my bed and such being on the left side and storage closets and a play area being on the right. I was lying in bed when I heard a noise from the other side of the room and saw a rocking horse begin to rock. It was sitting just outside one of the storage closet doors.

It proceeded to rock its way halfway across the room and stopped dead under the ceiling light. At this point, I was freaking out and just buried my head under my blankets and never peeked out again until morning.

It was all confirmed to not be a dream as the rocking horse was still in the middle of my room when I woke up. Furthermore, I got a stern reprimand from my parents for being up out of bed playing with my toys well past my bedtime. Their bedroom was directly below the storage closet/play area and had heard the creaking of the rocking horse shuffling across the room.


 













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June #23 Online Library Newsletter

The OPHS Online Library Newsletter - December 2023 #29