Image result for nikki sheehan goodnight boy book cover

Author Nikki Sheehan
visiting Oaks Park High School
Tuesday 27th February – World Book Week

Image result for nikki sheehan image


For more information on Nikki Sheehan and her wonderful books please go to:

Goodnight, Boy by Nikki Sheehan
A tale of two very different worlds, both shattered by the loss of loved ones. Tragic, comic and full of hope, thanks to a dog called Boy. The kennel has been JC's home ever since his new adoptive father locked him inside. For hours on end, JC sits and tells his dog Boy how he came to this country: his family, the orphanage and the Haitian earthquake that swept everything away. When his adoptive mother Melanie rescues him, life starts to feel normal again. Until JC does something bad, something that upset his new father so much that he and Boy are banished to the kennel. But as his new father gets sicker, JC realizes they have to find a way out.

Swan Boy by Nikki Sheehan
Life isn't easy for Johnny. He is trying to help his mum, he is looking after his little brother and he is going to a new school. Then Liam Clarke starts to bully him and it all begins to get a lot worse. But when Johnny gets some very surprising help from an unexpected source his life takes a dramatic turn.
Image result for nikki sheehan swan boy book cover

Who Framed Klaris Cliff? by Nikki Sheehan
People used to call them 'friends' and said how they were good for your brain. And then a day came when all that changed ...when they became our enemy. Now, anyone found harbouring a rogue imaginary person is in for the Cosh, an operation that fries your imagination and zaps whatever's in there, out of existence. That's why I wish Klaris Cliff had never shown up. And why I know that proving her innocence is the last hope I have of saving myself.

Image result for nikki sheehan klaris kliff book cover




Image result for nikki sheehan 



FAQ’s
1. Did you always want to be a writer?
Yes, but I also wanted to do other things, like being a vet and an archaeologist. Writing is a pretty flexible job, and loads of people manage to fit it around other jobs.
2. How do you get your ideas?
It varies. A book is one big idea followed by hundreds of smaller ones. The big idea usually brews inside me for months or even longer, and is often sparked by something that has happened to my children or one of their friends. But the smaller ideas might come as I sit down and try to write, or appear while I'm doing something completely different, walking my dogs, cooking dinner, or even the middle of the night, which is annoying because then I have to wake up and write them down! 
3. Who influenced you when you were a child? 
My favourite teacher when I was seven, Mrs Chamberlain, who did three brilliant things. 1. She had a lovely cocker spaniel which she brought to school and let us walk around the playing fields at lunchtime. 2. She told me I was good at writing. And 3, she sent a poem I had written off to a magazine and it was published.
4. How long does it take to write a book?
To write the whole story out for the first time (this is known as the first draft) it takes a few months. But then there is all the rewriting to make the story work as hard as it can, and the editing to get rid of mistakes and inconsistences, which takes much longer. Unfortunately.
5. Are you rich?
No :( 
6. What's your favourite book?
I have lots of favourites, but one from my childhood which I have reread as an adult and still absolutely adore is Tom's Midnight Garden. I just love stories where normal, boring life is twisted and neither the character nor the reader knows what's really going on, but you don't mind, you just enjoy the ride. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June #23 Online Library Newsletter

The OPHS Online Library Newsletter - December 2023 #29

Yoto Carnegie Medal Longlists 2024